More action needed to combat elder abuse in Canberra
We need a Territory specific plan to protect elderly Canberrans who are vulnerable to abuse, Shadow Minister for Seniors Nicole Lawder said.
On the eve of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, Ms Lawder is calling for localised action to combat the abuse of older people in Canberra.
While the ACT Government supported the National Plan to Respond to the Abuse of Older Australians (Elder Abuse) 2019-23, there was no dedicated funding in its recent budget for an ACT Implementation Plan.
An ACT Implementation Plan would contain measurable actions, goals and targets to help the Territory government achieve objectives set out in the national plan.
“Sadly, we know that some older people in Canberra are suffering from financial, emotional, physical or sexual abuse – often at the hands of people they know,” Ms Lawder said.
“Often victims don’t recognise the abuse. When they do, victims don’t always know where to go for help.
“There is also confusion in the broader community about what constitutes elder abuse and how to identify it is occurring.
“We are morally compelled to ensure that we are doing everything we can to protect elderly Canberrans from abuse and give them the support they need.
“If the ACT does not take strong, measurable action, I have real concerns that more elderly Canberrans will become victims of abuse as our elderly population grows.
“An awareness campaign to help the community identify signs of elder abuse, how to stop it and where to go to for help would be an important component of an ACT Implementation Plan.
“Elderly Canberrans are respected and loved members of our community and we must do all we can to ensure they are cared for,” Ms Lawder said.
All Media Releases
- More action needed to combat elder abuse in Canberra 14 Jun 2019
- Labor puts Tuggeranong residents last 12 Jun 2019
- Radical Green-Labor proposal turns animal-loving Canberrans into crooks 15 May 2019
- Responsible dog ownership laws to be debated in the Assembly 20 Feb 2019
- Laws to reward responsible dog owners, discourage dangerous dogs 28 Nov 2018
- Government must answer for degradation of local services 15 Nov 2018
- Recycling graves would be troubling for many Canberrans 19 Oct 2018
- Massive 422 per cent increase in dog attacks in Canberra in five years 21 Sep 2018
- Dog review aligns with Liberals’ proposed animal welfare laws 18 Sep 2018
- Liberals propose new animal welfare laws 17 Sep 2018
- Canberrans invited to join conversation on dog attacks 07 Sep 2018
- Dangerous dog laws put community at risk says ACT judge 14 Aug 2018