Lawder joins National Simultaneous Storytime at Holy Family Primary School
Member for Brindabella, Nicole Lawder, joined the children at Holy Family Primary School in Gowrie today, for fun morning reading activities. The highlight was being part of the annual National Simultaneous Storytime organised by the Australian Library and Information Association.
Ms Lawder said “Every year, a picture book, written and illustrated by an Australian author and illustrator, is read simultaneously in libraries, schools, pre-schools, childcare centres, family homes, bookshops and many other places around the country.”
“Last year 686,324 participants at over 6,129 locations read the same book at the same time. Hopefully this record will be broken in 2018” said Ms Lawder.
This year at exactly 11am on Wednesday 23 May Australian readers shared Hickory Dickory Dash written by Tony Wilson and illustrated by Laura Wood.
“It is a fun event with a serious side. It aims to promote the value of reading and literacy” said Ms Lawder.
It also promotes the value and fun of books, promotes an Australian writer and publisher and promotes storytime activities in public libraries and communities around the country.
One of the objectives of the program is to provide opportunities to involve parents and grandparents to participate in and enjoy the occasion.
“As a Grandmother who loves reading to my grandchildren, I love the opportunity to read aloud to young people” said Ms Lawder.
Media Contact Deborah Seccombe
All Media Releases
- Lawder joins National Simultaneous Storytime at Holy Family Primary School 23 May 2018
- Time for the government to clean up its act in Moncrieff 22 Apr 2018
- “City of Canberra” finds a home - but not in Canberra 23 Mar 2018
- Seniors encouraged to get connected to boost wellbeing 09 Mar 2018
- Extent of weekend flooding may have been avoided 26 Feb 2018
- Canberra Liberals reshuffle 05 Feb 2018
- 2017 in Review 18 Dec 2017
- Canberra Liberals reform dangerous dog laws 29 Nov 2017
- Statement on Planning Minister’s flip flop on Mr Fluffy commercial sites 13 Nov 2017
- ACT Power Bills to increase 06 Nov 2017
- Coe welcomes ICAC committee recommendations to clean up Canberra 31 Oct 2017
- Labor Government should suspend golf club development amid integrity concerns 25 Oct 2017
- Thank you Steve Doszpot for your enormous contribution to Canberra 24 Oct 2017
- Tax per household has increased by 28 per cent under Labor’s tax reform 10 Oct 2017
- ACT Government should stop skirting scrutiny on cladding fire safety risks 20 Sep 2017
- Labor-Greens Government should stop rates increases 14 Sep 2017
- Action needed on safety concerns at Mount Taylor 14 Sep 2017
- Deliberate vandalism of sporting field toilet block 11 Sep 2017
- Aluminium cladding - fire safety risks. 05 Sep 2017
- Government knowingly puts lives in danger at the Centenary Hospital 19 Aug 2017
- Canberra Liberals pay tribute to a Canberra Hero and former colleague 19 Jul 2017
- 'More children will die': Liberal opposition slams ACT Government over child protection 19 Jul 2017
- Bimberi allegations should be referred to ACT Policing 06 Jul 2017