CLBannerBandUp

Isabella Plains is indirectly named after Isabella Maria Brisbane (1821–1849), who was the daughter of Sir Thomas Brisbane, the colonial Governor of New South Wales when the area was first explored by white settlers in 1823.

Joseph Wild was employed by Brigade Major John Ovens and Captain Mark Currie to guide them to the Murrumbidgee River. They travelled south along the river and named the area now known as Tuggeranong "Isabella's Plain". This name was adopted, with a slight change of spelling, for the name of the new suburb. It was gazetted on 5 August 1975. Streets are named after New South Wales parish names. It is next to the suburbs of Monash, Bonython, Richardson and Calwell. It is bounded by Isabella Drive, Drakeford Drive, Johnson Drive and Ashley Drive. Located in the suburb are a small group of shops, MacKillop Catholic College, Isabella Plains Primary School, the Tuggeranong automatic weather station and Isabella Plains neighbourhood oval. (source)

Median property value for Isabella Plains 2905 (source)

2001

$153k

2011

$436k

2016$435k

Statistics about Isabella Plains (source)

Area of Isabella Plains

2.5 sq Kms

People

4,405

Male

2,111

Female

2,294

Median age

35

Families

1,206

Average children per family

1.8

All private dwellings

1,712

Average people per household

2.7

Median weekly household income

1,841

Median monthly mortgage repayments

2,000

Median weekly rent

381

Average motor vehicles per dwelling

1.9

The most common countries of origin in Isabella Plains were

Australian

26.2%

English

25.5%

Irish

8.4%

Scottish

7.4%

German

3.1%

CLBannerBandDown