Media Release Tuesday 14 March 2017
GOVERNMENT URGED TO COME CLEAN AFTER FOI REQUEST DENIED
The Barr government is urged to come clean after a Freedom of Information request to investigate the cause of ongoing stench was denied, Deputy Leader of the Opposition Nicole Lawder said today.
The FOI request was to investigate the cause of putrid odour, believed to be coming from the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre, and to determine the measures being taken to mitigate the smell.
“I have questioned the government on the issue for more than three years and they still have not come clean as to where the stench is coming from. Now, four months after I submitted a FOI request to get to the bottom of the matter it has been refused.
“Residents in my electorate are not happy that the government is not prioritising the matter. I have been trying to get answers through my FOI request and now it appears they are blocking that avenue too,” Ms Lawder said.
“Suggestions for more comprehensive tests to identify the cause of the odour also appear to have been rejected.”
Media Release - 8 March 2017
INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY EVENT CELEBRATES GENDER PARITY IN THE ACT LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
DATE: 8 March 2017In celebration of International Women’s Day (IWD) 2017, YWCA Canberra will host three women MLAs at a morning tea event at the ACT Legislative Assembly, to explore how they can ‘lead the change’ toward gender equality in the ACT.
Deputy Chief Minister, Yvette Berry will join Deputy Leader of the Opposition, Nicole Lawder and Greens Member for Murrumbidgee, Caroline Le Couteur in a panel discussion, hosted by ABC journalist, Adrienne Francis.
The session will highlight the personal leadership journeys of the panelists, and their views on the action needed to achieve gender equality in the ACT.
“This International Women’s Day presents a unique opportunity for us here in Canberra, where we have equal gender representation in the Legislative Assembly for the first time,” YWCA Canberra Executive Director, Frances Crimmins said.
“The theme for IWD is ‘Be bold for change’, and we want to ensure that the ACT Government continues to prioritise gender equality as a key policy priority both in the immediate and long-term.”
As a leading not-for-profit organisation with over 80 years of experience in being a voice for women in the ACT, YWCA Canberra is proposing a range of evidence-based policy measures that will progress gender equality in the ACT.
“We’re working with key decision-makers and leaders from across the political spectrum to ensure Canberra is leading the way on gender equality.
“We need to ensure that gender equality is at the forefront of all decision making. The Women’s Plan was a great step towards a whole of Government approach. It now needs the commitment of all of the Directorates and the support of a central agency with the oversight and resources to drive accountability across the whole of Government. That’s why we are calling on The Office for Women to be moved to the Chief Ministers Office, so that it can play its intended role of supporting all directorates to meaningfully progress gender equality,” Ms Crimmins said.
YWCA Canberra’s IWD #LeadTheChange morning tea will take place from 10am to 12pm on Wednesday 8 March at the ACT Legislative Assembly, with more than 90 leaders from across the community, business and government sectors.
16 February 2017
Plans for Tuggeranong cemetery and crematorium appear to be put on hold
Legislative Assembly - Questions without Notice
MS LAWDER: My question is to the minister for planning. In 2008 the ACT government set aside a site on Mugga Lane for a new cemetery. In 2013 the ACT Public Cemeteries Authority Chief Executive was quoted in the Canberra Times as saying that a multi-million dollar cemetery and crematorium would be operating in the city’s south by 2017, yet in Monday’s Canberra Times there was a report stating that “the government was reluctant to state whether plans had been scrapped”. Minister, has the government scrapped plans for a new cemetery and/or crematorium in Tuggeranong?
MR GENTLEMAN: I thank Ms Lawder for her question. Whilst I am not the minister with responsibility for cemeteries, Planning and Land Management is my portfolio. We have looked at the opportunity for a new cemetery on the south side. Those investigations continue. However, in the meantime, before providing certainty on a cemetery site for the south side, we are looking for other opportunities across the ACT to take up that role, if you like. It is important, particularly for the people of Tuggeranong and those living on the south side, to have an opportunity for end-of-life options in that form, and we will continue to work along that process.
MS LAWDER: Thank you to the non-minister for cemeteries. Minister, when will Tuggeranong have a cemetery and crematorium?
MR GENTLEMAN: It is a matter of timing, looking at the availability of the land and, of course, looking at the other options. We have announced that we are expanding the Woden Cemetery. There is an opportunity there for some take-up before we provide a cemetery for Tuggeranong. It is a concept we have discussed with the community, and we intend to do that further down the line.
Ms Lawder: On a point of order, Madam Speaker, the question quite clearly asked when. I did not hear a particular time frame in the minister’s response.
MADAM SPEAKER: The minister has time to respond to your question. Minister.
MR GENTLEMAN: Yes, I said further down the line.
MS LE COUTEUR: Minister, can I just clarify. Are you still talking about the Mugga Lane site? You have knocked back a variety of opportunities. I should possibly declare that I was previously a member—
MADAM SPEAKER: No preamble, Ms Le Couteur.
MS LE COUTEUR: Are you still committed to the Mugga Lane site? It was not clear from your answer.
MR GENTLEMAN: At this stage we have looked at the Mugga Lane site. We are also looking at other opportunities on the south side.
Elizabeth Lee MLA
Member for Kurrajong
Shadow Minister for Disability
Shadow Minister for the Environment
Media Release Thursday 23 February 2017
CONSULTATION RUN TO SUIT GOVERNMENT NOT RESIDENTS
I welcome the ACT Government’s attempt to consult with residents over the proposed plastic to fuel facility in Hume. However, the consultation sessions are at ridiculous times of the day and will preclude many busy and concerned residents from having their say on the contentious issue, Shadow Minister for Environment Elizabeth Lee said today.
“If the proposed facility is to go ahead, it’s important we get it right and the Canberra Liberals are committed to the scrutiny process for the best outcome for all Canberrans. The government has consulted on the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the facility but the panel heading the inquiry now wants to hold one drop in session and one public hearing at inconvenient times,” Ms Lee said.
“The drop in session scheduled for 3pm to 6pm on Monday the 6th of March means many residents who work or have to pick kids up from school won’t be able to make it. Likewise, with the public hearing which is scheduled for 1:30pm to 4:30pm on Tuesday the 7th of March. Why can’t the consultations be held in the evening or on weekends?
“Once again the ACT government seems to be running to its own timetable instead of meeting the needs of the community. Does the government have something to hide? If the government is genuine about transparent, proper consultation with the community, it would and should make these times realistic and accessible,” Ms Lee concluded.
Andrew Wall MLA
Member for Brindabella
Shadow Minister for Education and Training
Shadow Minister for Local Business and Tourism
Shadow Minister for Industrial Relations
Media Release Tuesday 14 February 2017
WALL CALLS FOR ACTION ON MPOWERDOME
Through a motion in the ACT Legislative Assembly, the Canberra Liberals will call on the ACT Labor government to take immediate action and work with the owners and managers to ensure that the mpowerdome can continue to operate as one of the ACT’s most important sporting venues, Member for Brindabella Andrew Wall said today.
“The mpowerdome has operated as Canberra’s leading venue for sports; including tennis, soccer, netball, volleyball, handball and modified sports for many years and in recent times has seen an average of 144,000 people through its doors who are all in the pursuit of an active lifestyle,” Mr Wall said.
“Even the ACT government’s own report has recognised that the mpowerdome has played, and could continue to play a vital role in the pursuit of the objectives of increasing the ACT community’s physical activity levels, from social through to high performance participation.
“Successive ACT Labor/Green governments have been well aware of the parking constraints facing the operators and have even cited the parking issues as an impediment to the future of the operation in separate reports.
“There is a simple solution and it’s time the Minister sat down with operators and managers of the mpowerdome and worked with them to ensure the continued viability of this important and iconic Canberra sporting venue,” Mr Wall concluded.