The Canberra Liberals believe that the government should introduce a heritage plan to guide the way forward in fostering and managing heritage into the future in the ACT.
At the 2016 election the Canberra Liberals commitments to heritage included:
- Preparing a heritage strategy for Canberra and the region in consultation with stakeholders and the community.
- Implementing a blue plaques scheme to make sites with significance more prominent.
- Providing better resources for people to record their history, including recording kits.
- Introducing a heritage grading of buildings after extensive consultation.
- Ensuring that heritage sites are incorporated into estate plans when new suburbs are planned.
- Commissioning a heritage app.
- Providing $200,000 in additional funding for heritage organisations.
The Canberra Liberals are committed to preserving heritage in the ACT and will continue to advocate for new ways to ensure appreciation of heritage, better planning, education tools and funding for peak bodies.